Made with just four ingredients, mashed sweet potatoes are creamy and delicious, and they can be prepared in less than 45 minutes. Ideal for the upcoming Christmas season!
MASHED SWEET POTATOES
You’ll wonder why you’ve been mashing russet potatoes as a side dish all your life after trying mashed sweet potatoes. While traditional mashed potatoes are certainly appropriate for the holiday table, there’s something about sweet potatoes that just shouts “family dinner time.” These are creamy and sweet, and they’re so incredibly simple to prepare that you’ll want to make them every single week!
This recipe for mashed sweet potatoes is a Thanksgiving mainstay, and your family will soon be asking for them each year. The absence of this traditional side dish would make the holiday feel quite different.
WHAT IS THE TIME FRACTION OF A BOILING SWEET POTATO TO MASH?
After being boiled, sweet potatoes require 15 to 20 minutes to become tender. Sweet potatoes may be cooked and mashed using essentially the same method as ordinary russet potatoes if you’re mashing potatoes.
AFTER BOILING, DO YOU PEEL THE SWEET POTATOES?
Yes, before putting the sweet potatoes in the boiling water, you should peel them. Sweet potato skins can be eaten, but you should be sure to wash them well before consuming them. To make mashed potatoes as creamy as possible, however, exclude the skins from the recipe.
HOW DO YOU MAKE It IN THE OVEN?
- Set oven temperature to 400°F.
- After giving sweet potatoes a thorough cleaning, pierce the skin many times with a fork. Transfer to an ovenproof dish and place inside. Simmer potatoes for 40 to 50 minutes, or until they are tender and a fork can easily pierce them.
- Take the potatoes out of the oven. After removing the potatoes’ skins, place them in a big basin. The potatoes will be hot, so put on oven mitts!
- To the bowl, add the butter, milk, and maple syrup. Using an electric hand mixer, puree everything until well mixed.
HOW DO YOU MAKE MASHED SWEET POTATOES WITH MARSHMALLOWS?
If you would want something more akin to a sweet potato casserole, you may add marshmallows to this side dish recipe. In a baking dish, spread the mashed potatoes and top with small marshmallows. After that, broil the marshmallows in the oven for one to two minutes, or until they begin to toast. If you would like some marshmallows incorporated in as well, you may stir them into the potatoes before adding the topping.
CAN YOU MAKE it WITH CINNAMON?
A simple way to include cinnamon into this dish is to purée the potatoes and add ½ teaspoon of it at that time. Before serving, you may optionally add additional ¼ teaspoon of salt to the potatoes.
HOW TO STORE
- Serve: Mashed sweet potatoes may be stored for up to two hours at room temperature.
- keep: For three to four days after cooling, keep in an airtight container.
- Freeze: Cooled mashed sweet potatoes may be kept in freezer-safe bags or containers for up to two months if you choose to freeze the recipe. Thaw overnight in the fridge, then slowly reheat over low heat on the stove, adding more milk as necessary.
More Recipes You Might Like
- Southern Mashed Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Topping
- Southern Sweet Potato Pie
- Healthy Baked Chicken Nuggets
- Decadent Beef Shank Osso Buco
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 6 sweet potatoes peeled and cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil over the stovetop and cook the potato pieces for 15 to 20 minutes, or until fork tender.
- In a traditional blender or with an immersion blender, add the milk, butter, and maple syrup and process until they are creamy.