Blend frozen blackberries, banana, and Greek yogurt until smooth to create this creamy, refreshing blackberry smoothie bursting with bright berry flavor. It’s a quick and great breakfast option for busy mornings, ready in just 5 minutes!
Wondering about the goodness of blackberries in smoothies? Absolutely! This blackberry smoothie not only looks stunning but is also rich in fiber and antioxidants.
Smoothies are a go-to because of their ease of preparation and their nutritional benefits. They’re perfect for ensuring everyone, from kids to adults, gets their essential nutrients while keeping them feeling full and light.
While we’ve used yogurt in this smoothie, feel free to substitute it with dairy-free yogurt. You can also adjust the sweetness to your liking by adding honey or maple syrup. Pour it into a glass or turn it into a smoothie bowl by topping it with granola, shredded coconut, and fresh fruit for a nutritious breakfast or snack.
How to make a blackberry smoothie
When blackberries are in season and plentiful, this blackberry banana smoothie is a delightful choice. It’s perfect for a healthy breakfast or a quick on-the-go snack, and the preparation is incredibly simple. Here’s how to whip one up:
- Place the frozen blackberries, banana, yogurt, and water into your blender.
- Blend on high until the mixture is smooth.
- Taste and, if desired, add honey or maple syrup for sweetness.
- Pour it into a glass and savor the goodness!
To craft this refreshing blackberry banana smoothie, you’ll only require five basic ingredients. Here’s your shopping list:
- Frozen blackberries – These lend a thicker, richer texture compared to fresh blackberries.
- Banana – Not only does it introduce natural sweetness, but it also contributes to the creaminess of the smoothie. The riper the banana, the sweeter it is! You can also use a frozen banana for added chill.
- Yogurt – We typically opt for Greek yogurt because of its thickness and higher protein content, but any type of yogurt will suffice. If necessary, you can also use dairy-free yogurt. Coconut yogurt complements the blackberries and bananas particularly well.
- Water – This serves to thin out the smoothie to the desired consistency. Alternatively, you can use milk or a non-dairy milk alternative like coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk for added creaminess.
- Honey or maple syrup – If you prefer a sweeter smoothie, a touch of honey or maple syrup will provide the sweetness you desire. Feel free to omit this if you prefer it less sweet.
Blackberry smoothie add-ins
While we’ve kept this berry smoothie delightfully simple, you have the freedom to load it up with your preferred add-ins to cater to your taste buds. Here are a few of our favored add-ins:
- Protein Powder: Incorporating a scoop of your preferred protein powder will significantly boost the protein content of this smoothie.
- Flaxseeds and Hemp Seeds: High in omega-3 fatty acids and fiber, ground flaxseeds and hemp seeds are fantastic additions. A tablespoon or two will provide your daily dose of these nutrients.
- Nut Butter: Any nut butter will introduce creaminess and healthy fats, helping you stay satiated longer. Options include almond butter, peanut butter, cashew butter, or even pumpkin seed butter.
- Leafy Greens: Adding a handful of spinach or kale (or any other leafy green) is an excellent way to incorporate your daily greens. Although it may alter the vibrant purple color, the taste remains unaffected.
Feel free to experiment with these add-ins to create your perfect blackberry banana smoothie!