This savory sausage and potato soup is dairy-free and made creamy by pureeing cannellini beans.
Table of Contents
Sausage and Potato Soup
Potato soups are very cozy in the cooler months, and this sausage and potato soup is sure to be a family supper favorite! Made with sweet Italian chicken, turkey or pig sausage, potatoes, spinach, and white beans. Some of my other favorite soups you may like are White Bean Kale Potato Soup, Beef & Barley Soup and Vegetable Beef Soup.
Cannellini beans are the secret to making this soup velvety without using cream. I do this frequently with several of my soup recipes. Beans are also high in protein and fiber, which adds richness to this soup and balances off the strong tastes of the Italian sausage. If you have small children, the potatoes are softened, making them ideal for first-time diners, passing the “squish test.” After trying this approach, you may wonder why you ever needed dairy to thicken a soup again.
Potato Soup Ingredients
- Sausage: Select your favorite mild Italian sausage. I like chicken or turkey, but pig and even vegan sausage may be used here. If you want it hot, use spicy sausage instead.
- Beans: Rinse and drain one can cannellini beans. I normally use any canned white beans I have in the cupboard, such as Northern or Navy beans.
- Broth: Low-sodium chicken or veggie broth will suffice.
- Potatoes: Yellow potatoes are used in this soup recipe. You may also use red or other waxy potato.
- Spinach: After the potatoes are done, add the chopped spinach to the saucepan and cook for one minute.
- Extra flavor: This nutritious soup is made delightful with onions, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
How long does sausage and potatoes last in the refrigerator?
Stock your freezer with soup so you may have quick dinners when you don’t have time to prepare. This creamy potato and sausage soup may be stored in the refrigerator for four days and frozen for three months. Reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop.
What to Serve with Sausage and Potato Soup
The sausage and beans in this creamy potato soup provide 25 grams of protein, making it wonderfully satisfying. Serve with a slice of crusty bread and/or a salad to complete the meal!
More Soup Recipes You’ll Love:
Sausage and Potato Soup
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 mild Italian turkey or chicken sausage links pork or vegan sausage can also work
- 1 small onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 can 15 ounces cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 container 32 ounces low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 cups cubed yellow potatoes peeling optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 cup finely chopped spinach
- Heat a big saucepan over medium-high heat and spray with oil.
- Add the sausage links, crumble, and cook for 7 minutes, stirring often. Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage and place it in a bowl.
- Immediately add 1 teaspoon oil, followed by the onion and garlic. Cook for approximately 5 minutes, or until the veggies are tender.
- Add the Italian seasoning and swirl to coat the veggies. Add the beans and stock to the pot and stir.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. If you do not have an immersion blender, put the soup to a high-speed blender and puree until smooth. Return to the pot.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then add the cooked sausage, potatoes, salt, and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and allow the soup cook for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked.
- When the potatoes are soft, add the spinach to the stew. Simmer for one minute, then serve.