Here’s an incredibly tasty and straightforward recipe for Dairy-Free French Toast, which utilizes plant-based milk and eggs. It’s an ideal zero-waste breakfast option.
I really hate wasting food, and recent events have emphasized how important food is and the possibility of shortages even when there’s plenty.
We had prepared to stock up our pantry even before the chaotic events occurred. However, we witnessed firsthand the panic buying and the sight of empty grocery store shelves.
In light of this, maximizing the use of the food we have on hand and avoiding food waste has become crucial once more. Zero waste has transformed from just a movement into a necessity.
Bread is one item we tend to have left over. Stale bread isn’t very appealing, but we’ve become skilled at making it palatable again. We can turn it into various dishes like vegetarian bread dumplings, toast it, dry it, make croutons, or prepare a Dairy-Free French Toast.
Making Dairy-Free French Toast is incredibly simple, and it results in a delicious breakfast that’s a perfect solution for using up stale bread.
For the best results, it’s ideal to use plain white bread, although other types will work as well. Avoid using fresh bread; instead, let it sit for a day or two before using it.
To prepare Dairy-Free French Toast, start by slicing your bread. Next, soak the slices in plant-based milk followed by beaten eggs. Be sure to soak them thoroughly to achieve a soft interior and a crispy exterior.
After soaking, simply fry the bread slices in a pan with some oil or butter over medium heat. Avoid high heat, as it can cause the toast to burn on the outside while remaining undercooked inside.
For frying, you can use a combination of vegetable oil and vegan butter, or opt for just oil or regular butter if you prefer.
Once the toast is cooked to your liking, remove it from the pan and place it on a paper towel to absorb any excess fat.
To serve, consider topping your French toast with some coconut yogurt, fresh fruit, and a dusting of icing sugar.
This recipe is a fantastic way to enjoy a delicious breakfast while making the most of stale bread.
- 4 slices stale white bread
- 3/4 cups rice milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (or vegan butter)
- 2 tbsp coconut yogurt
- 4 strawberries
- 1 tbsp blueberries
- 1 banana
- 1 tsp icing sugar
- Slice the bread into 4 slices.
- In a deep plate, pour the rice milk and mix in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate deep plate, beat the egg.
- Soak the bread slices first in the rice milk and then in the beaten egg, ensuring both sides are well soaked.
- In a pan, heat up vegetable oil or vegan butter.
- Place the soaked bread slices into the heated pan and cook on medium heat until they turn golden brown.
- Flip the slices over and cook the other side until it’s also golden brown.
- Transfer the French toast slices onto a plate lined with a paper towel to allow excess fat to drain.
- Serve the French toast with coconut yogurt, berries, banana slices, and a sprinkle of icing sugar on top. Enjoy!