These 5-ingredient Feta Eggs with Zucchini are ready in under 10 minutes. An simple way to include vegetables in your morning!
Table of Contents
Viral Feta Eggs with Zucchini
I’d seen these viral feta eggs all over the internet, but I wanted to make them a little healthier by including some veggies. These eggs turned out nicely with all of the zucchini in my garden! I sautéed grated zucchini and onion before topping with feta and eggs and cooking until the eggs were set but still runny.
Why This Recipe Works
- Healthy: With 18 grams of protein, these feta fried eggs are low in carbohydrates and high in protein. The zucchini provides fiber as well as vitamins A and C, while the onions are high in vitamins B6 and C.
- Fast and simple: With only five ingredients, there isn’t much prep. Breakfast may be ready in under 10 minutes once you grate the veggies.
- Delicious: You’ll be astonished at how wonderful these viral feta eggs are for such a basic dish with a low ingredient list. The crispy, cheesy crust for the eggs is created as the feta melts in the pan. It’s fantastic!
Feta Egg Ingredients
- The use of olive oil in the pan keeps the eggs from sticking.
- Vegetables: Grate a half cup zucchini and press out all the liquid, as well as a quarter cup onion.
- Two big eggs are required.
- Feta Cheese: Use one ounce of feta cheese.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes to add some heat
How to Make Healthy Feta Eggs
- saute the Veggies: In a small nonstick pan over medium heat, heat the oil and saute the onion and zucchini until tender and golden.
- Feta: Cook for 30 seconds, or until the cheese melts, over the zucchini and onion.
- Eggs: Carefully crack the eggs and place them on top of the feta. Cook, covered, on low heat until the yolks are runny and set.
- Cheese: If you don’t like feta, try this egg dish using goat cheese instead.
- Vegetables: Replace zucchini with yellow squash.
- Spices: If you don’t like spicy meals, leave out the red pepper. Season them with black pepper, onion powder, or garlic powder.
- Herbs: Season the eggs with dried herbs such as oregano or basil.
How to Serve
These eggs are delicious at any time of day. They can be eaten on their own or with toast, bagels, or tortillas.
For a flowing yolk, eat these feta eggs immediately after cooking. I don’t advocate making these ahead of time.
More Lunch Recipes You’ll Love
Feta Eggs with Zucchini
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated zucchini squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup grated onion
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ounce feta cheese
- crushed red pepper flakes
- Heat the oil in a small nonstick pan over medium heat and cook the onion and zucchini until tender and golden.
- Spread the feta cheese evenly over the zucchini and heat for 30 seconds, or until melted.
- Drop the eggs in carefully and cover. Cook until the yolks are runny and set, or until done to your preference.