Slow Cooker Tikka Masala Chicken is a simple recipe for a spicy Indian curry including all of your favorite Indian restaurant tastes!
Table of Contents
Slow Cooker Tikka Masala Chicken
The next time you crave Indian cuisine, put down the phone or vehicle keys and try one of our simple homemade dishes. You’ll be astonished at how simple it is to prepare delectable dishes like Tikka Masala or Indian Butter Chicken at home. If you don’t have any garam masala on hand, we’ve included a recipe below that you can create from your own pantry!
This crock pot Indian Chicken contains all of the spices and flavors found in an Indian restaurant dish, with the added ease of slow cooking. Plus, cooking it at home allows you to customize the spices to your preferences or what you have on hand. If restaurant-style Slow Cooker Tikka Masala Chicken is often too hot, prepare your own Garam Masala mix (recipe in this post!) and omit the cayenne pepper.
Our Crockpot Chicken Tikka does not contain a lot of yogurt or heavy cream. This is to keep the sauce from breaking, but you may add extra at the end of cooking if you choose.
Slow Cooker Tikka Masala Chicken Variations
- Veggies: Turn your Slow Cooker Tandoori Chicken into a one-pot dinner by adding vegetables and grains. Snow peas, carrots, chickpeas, potatoes, or green beans make a quick, filling supper.
- Dairy Free: To make this chicken recipe dairy-free, replace coconut milk or dairy-free plain yogurt instead of Greek yogurt. A can of coconut cream can also be added to the marinade to increase its richness.
- Seasonings: Other flavors for your marinade include lime juice, cardamom pods, cumin, coriander, chili powder, fresh ginger, garlic, and cilantro.
Garam Masala Blend
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon cardamom
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
Instant Pot Tikka Masala Chicken
- Marinate the chicken for at least 8 hours in yogurt and spices.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking and shake off the excess marinade.
- Pour 1 cup of chicken broth into the bottom of the pressure cooker.
- Spray trivet with cooking spray and set inside pot.
- Place chicken on trivet, stacking as required.
- Secure the lid and seal the pressure valve. Cook for 15 minutes using Manual High Pressure.
- Naturally relieve pressure. If you want char, place under the broiler for 5 minutes.
Oven Tandoori Chicken
- Marinate the chicken in yogurt and spices overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat a large casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Remove the chicken legs from the marinade, shake off any excess, and set them in a baking dish without touching. Discard the leftover marinade.
- Cook the chicken legs for 25-30 minutes, flipping them halfway through.
How To Store Slow Cooker Tikka Masala Chicken:
- Serve warm for up to 4 hours, or at room temperature for up to 2 hours before storing.
- Keep refrigerated in an airtight container or plastic bag for up to four days. Leftovers would be ideal for our Chicken Tikka Masala Bake!
- Slow Cooker Tikka Masala Chicken pieces may be frozen in a sealed container for up to three months. Do not freeze raw chicken in yogurt marinade.
More Slow Cooker Recipes You Might Like
Slow Cooker Tikka Masala Chicken
- 6 chicken thighs bone in and skin on
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Combine all of the ingredients in a big covered container and stir thoroughly.
- Allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours, ideally 24.
- When ready to cook, place the entire container in the slow cooker with the chicken thighs skin side up.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.