This curried chicken salad, made with a thick and creamy curry sauce, is the right blend of salty, savory, and sweet, and makes a great high-protein dinner. Not to mention that it stores nicely in the fridge, making it an excellent meal prep option!
TABLE OF CONTENTS
WHAT IS CURRIED CHICKEN SALAD?
Curried chicken salad, often known as curry chicken salad, is a kind of chicken salad that originated with British nobility. The dish is known as coronation chicken salad since Cordon Blue cooks made it for Queen Elizabeth II’s coronation luncheon in 1953 (1).
The original menu item, Poulet Reine Elizabeth, was poached chicken in a curry cream sauce with wine, mayonnaise, whipped cream, and apricot purée. Modern versions of this salad are significantly simpler, with curry powder, mayonnaise, and raisins replacing the apricot purée.
This quick and easy coronation-inspired curried chicken salad is the perfect dish for a simple yet savory lunch, regardless of the precise method of preparation and ingredients in the original form.
CURRY CHICKEN SALAD INGREDIENTS
- Chicken: Cooked and shredded chicken or cubed chicken. For this salad, you may use leftover chicken, rotisserie chicken, or baked chicken breasts.
- Curry Powder: To make the characteristic curry dressing, use whatever curry powder combination you choose, mild or spicy.
- Mayonnaise: You may prepare the creamy dressing with homemade or store-bought mayonnaise.
- Yogurt: Greek yogurt works best for adding tang to the dressing; just be sure you use plain.
- Lime Juice: A touch of acid to balance the dressing; if needed, use lemon juice.
- Celery: To add crunch, use celery.
- Green onion: For added flavor and crunch.
- Raisins: For a touch of sweetness. This recipe asks for raisins or sultanas, however grapes can be substituted.
- Cilantro: Cilantro is used for flavor and color.
- Salt and Pepper: To season the salad, season with salt and pepper.
- Nuts: If desired, add some chopped almonds or cashews.
- This dish is gluten-free and does not require any modifications.
- To make it dairy-free, use additional mayonnaise for the yogurt.
HOW TO MAKE CURRY CHICKEN SALAD
- Make the curry sauce. In a mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, curry powder, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- Prepare the chicken by chopping it. Cooked chicken should be shredded or diced into bite-sized pieces.
- Prepare the salad. In a mixing dish, combine the chicken, celery, green onion, raisins, cilantro, and nuts.
- Incorporate the dressing. Stir the curry dressing into the chicken mixture until everything is thoroughly incorporated and the chicken is well covered with the dressing.
- As requested, serve! Once combined, the chicken salad can be served on its own or with bread, salad, or any sides of your choosing.
The recipe card below contains complete directions for the dish.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CURRY CHICKEN SALAD
Curried chicken salad may be served as a high-protein lunch on its own or with a source of complex carbs and/or fiber for a more balanced dinner. Here are some ideas:
- Bread – Use your favorite bread to make a substantial sandwich out of the curry chicken salad. I recommend sourdough or sprouted grain bread.
- Wrap – For a quick and easy lunch, fill a wrap with chicken salad and lettuce.
- Lettuce Wrap – For a reduced carb and calorie option, wrap curry chicken salad in lettuce.
- Crackers – Serve curry chicken salad with crackers as a high-protein dip.
- Green Salad – For a satisfying high-fiber lunch, top a green salad with a liberal quantity of curried chicken salad.
Can you freeze curry chicken salad?
While curried chicken salad may be frozen, freezing mayonnaise might change the texture of the salad and is thus not suggested.
Can I add Greek yogurt to curried chicken salad?
Yes! Adding Greek yogurt to curried chicken salad, either alongside or in place of mayonnaise, is a terrific method to enhance protein while lowering the salad’s fat and calorie load.
What is the calorie count of curried chicken salad?
The calorie count of curried chicken salad is determined by the recipe or the precise amount and mix of components. This curried chicken salad dish has 335 calories, 27 grams of protein, 19 grams of fat, and 16 grams of carbs per serving.
The salad may be refrigerated in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
MORE SALAD RECIPES TO TRY:
Curried Chicken Salad
- 3 cups cooked chicken diced
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup cashews or almonds optional
- 1/4 cup cilantro finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt plain
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 lime juiced
- Black pepper
- In a small mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, yogurt, curry powder, lime juice, a large amount of salt, and a pinch of black pepper. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then put aside.
- Stir together the chopped chicken, celery, green onion, raisins, cilantro, and nuts (optional) in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the chicken mixture and toss until thoroughly blended. Taste and adjust seasoning as required – you may add additional spoonful of mayo and/or yogurt to achieve the desired texture.
- The chicken salad can be served immediately or refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days.