A simple, time-tested recipe for slow cooker beef chili that the whole family will enjoy. Perfect for a game day or supper!
Slow Cooker Recipes make for easy dinners on busy, cold days. A hearty meal like the similar Beef Bulgogi , the incredible Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy, or the Slow Cooker Beef Stew will warm up the entire family.
Nothing is cozier than a steamy cup of chili as the weather turns chilly. This rich dish is ideal for both large events and cosy nights in at home since there are so many different ways to adapt it. Beef cooked slowly The rich flavors and simplicity of the chili recipe make it special. This substantial meal has a thick foundation made of lean ground beef, onions, and a mixture of spices in a tomato sauce. Each bite is a treat because to the texture and layers of flavor added by the various beans and sliced tomatoes. Chili is thickened by the unusual inclusion of saltine cracker crumbs, giving it a delightfully meaty consistency.
The simplicity of this dish is also another huge benefit! By using a slow cooker, the additional ingredients may be added after the meat and onions have been sautéed for a while, and the cooking can continue without continual attention. Because of this, it’s a fantastic recipe for days when you’re busy and don’t have time to spend hours in the kitchen but still want to eat something tasty.
How to Make Slow Cooker Beef Chili
Making your own chili at home is immensely rewarding, and this recipe for Slow Cooker Chili with its quick prep time makes it simpler than ever. Look it up!
- Step One: In a big saucepan or cast iron skillet, sauté the meat and onion together over medium-high heat until the beef is well browned.
- Step two: is to add the other ingredients to your slow cooker after adding the meat mixture and onion.
- Step three: is to set your slow cooker for either three hours on high heat or six hours on low heat. Leave the magic to the slow cooker!
- Step four: After the cooking period has ended, thoroughly whisk everything to blend. Serve up your wonderful and warm slow cooker chili now! Sour cream and green onions go on top!
Key Ingredients in Slow Cooker Beef Chili
Although it’s easy to make and the components are uncomplicated, each one is essential for developing flavor in this slow cooker chili. Here is a summary:
- Ground Beef: The protein foundation of the chili is ground beef. Choose lean ground beef to reduce fat. For a lighter version, you may nevertheless use ground chicken or turkey instead.
- Onion and Garlic: The chili’s taste is built on the aromatics of onion and garlic. They offer a depth of taste that cannot be reproduced, so don’t skip them. The three garlic cloves are also very nutritious!
- Red kidney beans: They offer texture and are an excellent source of fiber and protein. Don’t be afraid to try various beans, such pinto or black beans.
- Diced tomatoes: These provide a tangy sweetness that counteracts the chili’s spiciness. Reduce the amount or swap in fresh tomatoes for the canned kind if you prefer a chili with less tomato flavor.
- Chili powder, cumin, and jalapenos: These seasonings provide the chili flavor and fire. Adapt the amounts to the level of spice that you want.
- Saltine Cracker Crumbs: Saltine cracker crumbs are an uncommon addition that contributes to the appropriate thickness of the chili. If needed, replace with bread crumbs.
Stovetop Slow Cooker Beef Chili
Chili may also be prepared on the stovetop, but the slow cooker approach is more practical and aids in the development of rich flavors. Add the other ingredients after browning the meat and onions in the same manner. For about two hours, simmer the chili over low to medium heat, stirring regularly to prevent burning on the bottom.
Can Beef Chili Prepared in a Slow Cooker Ahead of Time?
Absolutely! The flavors of chili have more time to mix together the next day, so the meal tastes even better. Before putting it in the refrigerator, make sure to let it cool down. On a stovetop over low heat, reheat it; if it’s too thick, add a little water.
Substitutions in Slow Cooker Beef Chili
- Ground Beef: Ground beef may be replaced with ground chicken or turkey for a lighter option. Use a meat replacement made from plants or include more beans to make a vegetarian version.
- Red Kidney Beans: Use pinto beans, black beans, or a mix of your preferred beans in place of red kidney beans.
- Saltine Cracker Crumbs: Saltine Cracker Crumbs: If saltine cracker crumbs are not available, bread crumbs or tortilla chip crumbs can work nicely as a thickener.
Variations on Slow Cooker Beef Chili
This recipe for slow cooker chili is adaptable and may be customized to your preferences. Here are a few alternatives to think about:
- Spicy Slow Cooker Chili: Add more jalapenos or a dab of hot sauce for a spicy slow cooker chili with an additional kick.
- Vegetarian slow cooker chili: You may omit the ground beef altogether or add more beans and vegetables like baked potatoes and green bell peppers.
- Three-Bean Slow Cooker Chili: For a diversity of tastes and textures, combine kidney beans, black beans, and white beans (such as pinto beans). Bean chili is a fantastic slow cooker chili!
- 2 pounds lean ground beef , 80/20
- ▢1 yellow onion , chopped
- ▢3 garlic cloves , minced
- ▢2 16-ounce cans red kidney beans , rinsed and drained
- ▢29 ounces canned diced tomatoes , not drained
- ▢1/4 cup tomato paste
- ▢3 tablespoons chili powder
- ▢1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ▢1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- ▢1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ▢1 minced jalapeno , optional (if you want it spicy)
- ▢1/2 cup saltine cracker crumbs , finely ground
- Cook the beef and onion together in a large pot or cast iron skillet over medium high heat until the beef is browned well.
- Add it to the slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook on high heat for 3 hours or on low heat for 6 hours.
Calories: 281kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 660mg | Potassium: 760mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1155IU | Vitamin C: 14.8mg | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 4.8mg